Low Toxin Cleaning With Essential Oils
Cleaning protects our health in our homes, schools, and workplaces. But have you ever considered that the products you’re using now might be doing more than simply cleaning? Are they safe to inhale or come in contact with your skin? Household and cleaning products—including soaps, polishes, and grooming supplies—often contain harmful ingredients we call toxins.
Have you heard of the Dirty Dozen? These are 12 toxic ingredients you should avoid that are commonly found in cleaners and personal care products.
By clicking on the flashing dots in the images below, you'll learn more about these toxins, the products they're found in, how they're used in many mainstream products, and their suspected impacts on bodies and the environment.
SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE
Commonly found in:
- shower gels
- facial cleansers
- household cleaning products
- dish soap
These compounds are used to create "creamy" or "foamy" products. They can cause acute toxicity to aquatic organisms and have potential for bioaccumulation. They act as pH adjusters in:
Suspected endocrine disrupter that has shown to contribute to antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
- antibacterial cosmetics
***The Canadian Medical Association has called for a ban on antibacterial consumer products, such as those containing triclosan***Marker 4
These agents are used as preservatives in a wide range of cosmetics. They’re known to slowly release small amounts of formaldehyde into the bloodstream, which can be linked to cancer. Consumer applications of formaldehyde include:
- Resins used in wood products
- Vinyl flooring
- Permanent-press fabrics
- Toilet bowl cleaners
Watch for any mixture of synthetic fragrance ingredients in cosmetics and laundry products—even in products marketed as unscented. Some fragrance ingredients can trigger allergies and asthma, have been linked to cancer and neurotoxicity, and can be harmful to fish and other wildlife.Marker 6
COAL TAR DYES
These are artificial colors that include p-phenylenediamine and any other colors listed as CI followed by five digits. Avoid these in:
- Processed foods
- Hair dyes
The first step to avoiding harmful toxins is to become aware of where they are commonly found! Continue to click for more information!
- Polyvinyl chloride plastic (PVC) to render it flexible
- Nail products (as a solvent for dyes and plasticizer to prevent them to become brittle)
- "Fragrance" in many other cosmetics
- Fragrance recipes are considered trade secrets, so manufacturers are not required to disclose fragrance chemicals in the list of ingredients
***(see also Fragrance/Parfum)***Marker 2
BHA + BHT
These synthetic ingredients are used mainly in moisturisers and makeup as preservatives. They’re also harmful to fish and other wildlife.Marker 3
PEGs, or polyethylene glycols, are petroleum-based compounds used in many cosmetic cream bases. PEGs could be contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, which may cause cancer. They’re used as:
- Moisture carriers
Petrolatum is commonly known as mineral oil or petroleum jelly. The European Union classifies petrolatum as a carcinogen and restricts its use in cosmetics. PAHs in petrolatum can also cause skin irritation and allergies. You’ll find petrolatum used in:
- Hair products
- Lip balms/lip sticks
Suspected endocrine disrupters may interfere with male reproductive functions.
These preservative ingredients are used in:
- Hygiene products
- Food products
May disrupt endocrine levels in our bodies – ultimately affecting hormone production as well as having a negative effect on our fertility levels.
These silicone-based compounds are used in:
- Hair products
- Deodorant creams
- Facial treatments
Why are Toxins Harmful?
Now that you’re aware of these issues, the next step is to make small and simple changes to eliminate toxins from your home.
Take Action: Toxin-Free Home
Transitioning to a toxin-free, plant-based home is a lifestyle journey, and you can make changes over time.
- Avoid products that include ingredients from the Dirty Dozen
- Start by replacing the products you use most frequently. This may be your household cleaner or even your hand-soap.
- Focus on replacing products used on those who are most susceptible to them. Children and family members with compromised immune systems can be more prone to the harmful effects of toxic chemicals.
Wash and prepare for the day without a trace of harsh chemicals. Our Thieves® line offers many bathroom personal care productsMarker 2
THIEVES PRODUCT LINE
Thieves products can be used on virtually any surface in your home or office including; fabrics, upholstery, carpet, floors, toilets, walls, dishes, and so much more. They even work great on mirrors and windows, leaving them streak free.
This product line is a huge step to creating a healthy home free from toxic chemicals.Marker 3
You can use Thieves® products on virtually any surface in your bedroom, including fabrics, upholstery, carpet, floors, walls, and so much more. They even work great on mirrors and windows, leaving them streak free. With this product line, you can make major strides toward creating a healthy home free of toxic chemicals.Marker 4
THIEVES® LAUNDRY SOAP
Thieves® Laundry Soap is formulated to effectively and gently clean clothing in all types of washers, with plant-based ingredients that leave no chemical or synthetic residues. Natural enzymes and powerful essential oils leave your clothes fresh and clean with a light citrus scent that everyone in the family will love. Not only does it clean well, but a little of it also goes a long way! A 32-ounce bottle can be used for up to 64 loads of laundry.Marker 5
THIEVES HOUSEHOLD CLEANER
Formulated with one of Young Living’s most popular essential oils Thieves, Thieves Household Cleaner is a concentrated, versatile solution that gives you a deep clean when scrubbing, degreasing, spot cleaning, dusting, and more—all without harsh chemicals.
With its spicy-sweet aroma and plant-based formula, it’s great to use around everyone in your family, including pets.
Create a clean, welcoming space that’s perfect for everyone with the fresh, inviting scent and sparkling clean of Thieves Household Cleaner.
Young Living's Thieves® product line is the best alternative to harsh mainstream cleaners and personal care necessities that are often filled with toxic chemicals. Each of our plant-derived cleaning products is pure enough for your family and strong enough for your life!
We’ve infused Thieves into personal care, oral care, and cleaning products to create safe, gentle, and effective products you can use in your home to support and enhance your family’s wellness.
Thieves product line: made with plant based ingredients and free of toxins!
You Have All You Need in a Bottle of Thieves Household Cleaner!
Mix 1 capful Thieves Household Cleaner + 2 cups distilled water in a glass spray bottleMarker 2
ALL PURPOSE CLEANER
Mix 1 capful Thieves Household Cleaner + 1 quart distilled water in a spray bottleMarker 3
Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner + 1 cup of distilled water in a spray glass bottleMarker 4
Mix 1 capful Thieves Household Cleaner + 3 cups of distilled water in a glass spray bottleMarker 5
Mix 1 capful Thieves Household Cleaner + 6 cups distilled waterMarker 6
Mix 1 capful Thieves Household Cleaner + 2 cups distilled waterMarker 7
WINDOW AND GLASS CLEANER
Mix 1 capful Thieves Household Cleaner + 5 quarts distilled water
Mix 1/4 teaspoon + 1 quart of distilled water (for spray bottles)Marker 8
Mix 1 capful Thieves Household Cleaner to 6 cups distilled waterMarker 9
Mix 1 capful Thieves Household Cleaner + 2 cups distilled water in a glass spray bottle
You can replace almost every commercial cleaner in your home with one bottle of Thieves® Household Cleaner. Its versatility will save you money and shelf space. Plus, no more worrying about your children or pets getting into the cleaning supplies and being exposed to harsh chemicals.
Keeping your hands clean is one of the most important steps you can take to maintain good personal hygieneMarker 2
Tiny cuts or grooves made on these surfaces provide a natural habitat for bacteria to grow. Cleaning cutting boards and cooking utensils properly is extremely important to prevent any cross- contamination.Marker 3
FRUIT AND VEGETABLES
Even when buying organic, the surface of some fruits and vegetables can hide pesticide residue, debris, and dirtMarker 4
Germs often thrive in kitchen sinks because they’re usually filled with warm water and because it’s an easy place for food particles to accumulate.
You already keep a clean kitchen, but is it clean from harsh chemicals? Skip the harmful toxins—keep your kitchen safe and clean with Thieves!
Thieves All Purpose Cleaner
- Made with naturally derived, plant-based ingredients for a safer way to clean your home
- Contains essential oils like Lemon and Thieves for a deeper clean and warm, inviting scent
- Becomes a quick go-to cleaner of choice for anything in the home
- Brings a sparkle to your countertops, floors, furniture, windows, walls, oven, around your toilet, and almost any surface
Thieves Dish Soap and Foaming Hand Soap
- Effectively cleans your dishes without chemicals, dyes, or synthetics.
- Made with plant based ingredients to leave your dishes sparkling clean.
- Contains pure essential oils like Thieves, Jade Lemon, and Bergamot.
- Gently cleans and conditions the skin.
- Combines Thieves blend, Lemon and Orange essential oils with other naturally derived ingredients, such as aloe vera, to clean hands.
- Instant foam makes it easy to lather and rinse.
- Leaves skin soft and clean, with a light Thieves scent.
- Contains no sulfates, dyes, synthetic fragrances, or harsh chemicals.
Thieves Fruit and Veggie Soak
- Utilise naturally derived ingredients and the cleansing power of Thieves essential oil blend to effectively wash produce.
- The soak is a perfect choice when cleaning larger amounts of produce. With the help of DiGize, Purification, and Thieves essential oil blends, you can prepare produce for a wonderful meal or healthy snack
- Decyl glucoside is the plant-based surfactant used in many Thieves products. It is a plant derived ingredient used to effectively remove dirt wax and other surface impurities.
- To use: Pour a capful into a bowl of water, mix in fruit and veggies, let sit for about a minute, and then rinse.
Cleaning your Kitchen with Thieves
INTERIOR WINDOWS, WINDOWSILLS, PLANT AND PET DISHES
- Wipe loose debris and dust from windowsills and pet and plant dishes.
- Clean windowsills and plant and pet dishes. Be sure to rinse pet dishes thoroughly.
- Clean interior windows.
Cleaning recipe: Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 5 quarts (20 cups) of water. Use gloves and hot water for best results.
Tip: To naturally freshen the air in your home, diffuse Thieves essential oil blend for 15-30 minutes.Marker 2
SINK, COUNTERTOPS, BACKSPLASH, CABINET FRONT
- Remove all countertop appliances, canisters, knick-knacks, and clutter.
- Clean sink, countertops, backsplash, knick-knacks, canisters, and counter appliances with suggested recipe.
- Wipe down cabinet fronts with suggested recipe.
Cleaning recipe: Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with just under a quart (3½ cups) of water. Use gloves and hot water for best results.
Cabinet front recipe: Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with ¼ quart (1 cup) of olive oil. To enhance the aroma, you may also add 10 drops of Citrus Fresh essential oil blend.Marker 3
STOVETOP, OVEN, MICROWAVE
- Remove any leftover food or debris from stovetop, oven, and microwave.
- Clean stovetop, oven, fan, vent filters, hood, and microwave with mixture.
Cleaning recipe: Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with ¼ quart (1 cup) of water. Use gloves and hot water for best results.
Tip: Fill a microwavable container with 3 cups of hot water and a few drops of Lemon essential oil. Place the container in the microwave and heat on high for 10 minutes. The steam will loosen any cooked-on food, making it easy to wipe clean.
If you’re like us, there are a million things you’d rather do than clean your bathroom.
Between the grime, dirt, and noxious chemicals, bathroom cleaning quickly becomes a task you’d rather delegate to a roommate, spouse, or any child old enough to wield a toilet wand.
With the help of Thieves® products, you can replace the harsh toxins found in household cleaners with powerful, safe cleaners that make scrubbing down every bathroom surface much more bearable.
GLASS AND MIRRORS
- Add ¼ teaspoon Thieves Household Cleaner to 1 quart (4 cups) of distilled water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the sink with your heavy degreasing formula—1 capful Thieves Household Cleaner to ¼ quart (1 cup) distilled water.
- Scrub with a sponge and rinse with warm water.
- Use your light degreasing cleaner formula to clean surfaces and cabinets.
- Add 1 capful Thieves Household Cleaner to ¾ quart (3 cups) of distilled water in a spray bottle.
TUB & SHOWER
- Make a thick paste with Thieves Household Cleaner and baking soda.
- Apply the paste to your tub or bottom of shower and scrub with a clean, soft cloth or sponge.
Let sit for 5 minutes and rinse.
When it comes to laundry, you can’t go wrong with Thieves®.
Our liquid laundry detergent is safe for your family as well as the environment. It contains no phthalates, chlorine, formaldehyde, artificial colors, or other harsh, unnecessary ingredients, leaving all the naturally derived ingredients you need to leave your laundry smelling fresh and so clean!
Thieves Laundry Soap
- Plant-based formula that is free from synthetic ingredients.
- Works with all washers, including high-efficiency.
- Highly concentrated formula; a 32-ounce container can wash up to 64 loads.
- Can be poured directly onto clothing.
- Contains no sulfates, dyes, petrochemicals, formaldehyde, phosphates, synthetic perfumes, or optical brighteners.
Thieves Laundry Soap gently and naturally washes your clothes, cleaning them without leaving behind any chemical or synthetic residue. Fabrics come out of the washer clean with a pleasant citrus aroma, thanks to 100 percent pure Thieves, Jade Lemon, and Bergamot essential oils.
Thieves Laundry Soap is free from optical brighteners—chemicals that only make clothes look cleaner and brighter without actually cleaning them—and sodium lauryl sulfate—a cleansing agent that can cause irritation and itchiness. By avoiding these ingredients, Thieves Laundry Soap is a high-quality product that is naturally derived, effective, and perfect to use around those you love.
Need a little cleaning boost?
In this bottle, you’ll find a powerhouse cleaning product for everything around the house, including laundry!
If your load is extra dirty, add a capful of Thieves Household Cleaner as you add your detergent to the washer. Press start and wait for those extra-clean clothes!
Enjoy Thieves’ warm, irresistible aroma and combine pure Clove, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata, Lemon, and Rosemary essential oils in your daily personal care!
Thieves Cleansing Soap Bar
- Combines our exclusive Thieves essential oil blend with cleansing botanicals in a 100 percent vegetable base
- Cleanses and purifies the skin
- Offers a creamy lather that leaves skin smooth, refreshed, and lightly scented
- Made without synthetic dyes or colorants, parabens, petrochemicals, and sulfates, making it gentle enough for the whole family.
Young Living's Aromabright Toothpaste
- Gently brushes away daily buildup and helps combat the effects of unsightly staining.
- Plant-based formula that is gentle on teeth and their delicate enamel.
- Made without synthetic dyes, artificial flavours, or preservatives.
- Contains Peppermint, Spearmint, and Cinnamon Bark essential oils, along with our popular Thieves blend.
- Has a sweet spicy-mint flavour that freshens the breath.
- For the ultimate clean, follow your morning and evening brushing with Thieves Dental Floss™ and Thieves Fresh Essence Plus Mouthwash™.
Thieves Fresh Essence Plus Mouthwash
- Freshens and provides a whole-mouth clean using our signature Thieves oil blend.
- Free from harsh alcohol and artificial dyes and flavors.
- The spicy-sweet flavor of Thieves combined with Spearmint and Peppermint will leave you with fresh breath and a pleasant taste to give you the confidence you need to face the day.
- Use it alongside our Thieves toothpastes and floss.
Thieves Dental Floss
- Made with strong fibres that resist fraying
- Easily glide between teeth for those hard-to-reach places.
- Saturated twice with essential oils, offering double the protection to freshen your breath.